Fall Home Maintenance Checklist
Many of us may not like the fact that summer is coming to an end, but colder weather is approaching. Early fall is a great time to prepare your home for the cold weather ahead, so you will be ready to save on heating costs before winter arrives.
Fall checklist to prepare your home for winter
Prepare windows, doors, and cracks that cause drafts:
- Change out summer screens to cool weather storm windows and doors.
- Weatherstrip or caulk around windows, doors, and attic entries to prevent drafts.
Prepare your heating system:
- Get an early tune-up not only will this help prevent breakdowns, but it will run at optimal efficiency, which will also save on energy costs.
- If your heating system is over ten years, consider upgrading to a new energy-efficient system. Newer systems will save you on energy costs.
Prepare your plumbing:
- Insulate pipes in colder areas to prevent them from freezing and bursting.
- Make sure you know how to turn off the main water valve in case pipes freeze.
- Drain and disconnect all garden hoses from outside spigots to prevent any water from freezing.
- If your home will be vacant for an extended period of time this winter, contact a plumber to winterize your home.
Prepare your attic:
- Make sure your attic insulation is not covering any vents, which can contribute to ice dams on your roof.
- Rodents in the attic can destroy insulation or make it ineffective, so make sure your attic is rodent-free.
- Home insulation can degrade over time, making it less effective, or you may have insufficient or incorrectly installed insulation, which also makes it less effective. View our home insulation facts to determine if it’s time to replace or upgrade your home insulation.
While winter may seem months away, don’t wait to prepare your home for the cold. Start saving energy now and throughout the year.
The experts at BW Home Services | BantamWesson offers a variety of services to help you save on home energy:
- A Home Energy Assessment to find energy savings and possible rebates.
- Perform a heating system tune-up, which comes with our Premier Service Membership
- Protect your plumbing with winterization services and a Premier Plumbing Membership.
- Upgrade your home insulation or windows.Home heating fuel budget plans and auto-delivery options for oil and propane customers
Contact us today, or call 800.992.2227 to speak with our team and start saving energy today.